Re: fsverity PAGE_SIZE constraints

On 1 Jun 2020, at 16:36, Eric Biggers wrote:

On Mon, Jun 01, 2020 at 04:13:45PM -0400, Jes Sorensen wrote:
Hi,

I am working on adding fsverity support to RPM and I am hitting a tricky
problem. I am see this with RPM, but it really isn't specific to RPM,
and will apply to any method for distribution signatures.

fsverity is currently hard-wiring the Merkle tree block size to
PAGE_SIZE. This is problematic for a number of reasons, in particular on architectures that can be configured with different page sizes, such as
ARM, as well as the case where someone generates a shared 'common'
package to be used cross architectures (noarch package in RPM terms).

For a package manager to be able to create a generic package with
signatures, it basically has to build a signature for every supported
page size of the target architecture.

Chris Mason is working on adding fsverity support to btrfs, and I
understand he is supporting 4K as the default Merkle tree block size,
independent of the PAGE_SIZE.

Would it be feasible to make ext4 and other file systems support 4K for non 4K page sized systems and make that a general recommendation going
forward?

It's possible, but it will be a little difficult.  We made a similar
simplification for ext4 encryption initially, and it took a long time to remove it. (ext4 encryption was first supported in Linux v4.1. ext4 encryption didn't
support block_size != PAGE_SIZE until Linux v5.5, following work by
Chandan Rajendra and myself.)

Fixing this would require a number of different changes:

- Updating fscrypt_verify_bio() and fsverity_verity_page() to iterate through all data blocks in each page, and to handle sub-page Merkle tree blocks

- Defining a mechanism other than PageChecked to mark Merkle tree blocks as verified. E.g., allocating an in-memory bitmap as part of the struct fsverity_info. This should also be optional, in the sense that we shouldn't
  use the memory for it when it's not needed.

- Supporting fs-verity in block_read_full_page() in fs/buffer.c.

There may be other changes needed too; those are just the obvious ones.

Is this something that you or Chris is interested in working on?

On the btrfs side, I’m storing the fsverity data in the btree, so I’m merkle block size agnostic. Since our rollout is going to be x86, we’ll end up using the 4k size internally for the current code base.

My recommendation to simplify the merkle tree code would be to just put it in slab objects instead pages and leverage recent MM changes to make reclaim work well. There’s probably still more to do on that front, but it’s a long standing todo item for Josef to shift the btrfs metadata out of the page cache, where we have exactly the same problems for exactly the same reasons.

-chris

[Index of Archives]     [linux Cryptography]     [Asterisk App Development]     [PJ SIP]     [Gnu Gatekeeper]     [IETF Sipping]     [Info Cyrus]     [ALSA User]     [Fedora Linux Users]     [Linux SCTP]     [DCCP]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Yosemite Campsites]     [ISDN Cause Codes]