Re: fsverity PAGE_SIZE constraints

On Mon, Jun 01, 2020 at 04:13:45PM -0400, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on adding fsverity support to RPM and I am hitting a tricky
> problem. I am see this with RPM, but it really isn't specific to RPM,
> and will apply to any method for distribution signatures.
>
> fsverity is currently hard-wiring the Merkle tree block size to
> PAGE_SIZE. This is problematic for a number of reasons, in particular on
> architectures that can be configured with different page sizes, such as
> ARM, as well as the case where someone generates a shared 'common'
> package to be used cross architectures (noarch package in RPM terms).
>
> For a package manager to be able to create a generic package with
> signatures, it basically has to build a signature for every supported
> page size of the target architecture.
>
> Chris Mason is working on adding fsverity support to btrfs, and I
> understand he is supporting 4K as the default Merkle tree block size,
> independent of the PAGE_SIZE.
>
> Would it be feasible to make ext4 and other file systems support 4K for
> non 4K page sized systems and make that a general recommendation going
> forward?

It's possible, but it will be a little difficult.  We made a similar
simplification for ext4 encryption initially, and it took a long time to remove
it.  (ext4 encryption was first supported in Linux v4.1.  ext4 encryption didn't
support block_size != PAGE_SIZE until Linux v5.5, following work by
Chandan Rajendra and myself.)

Fixing this would require a number of different changes:

- Updating fscrypt_verify_bio() and fsverity_verity_page() to iterate through
  all data blocks in each page, and to handle sub-page Merkle tree blocks

- Defining a mechanism other than PageChecked to mark Merkle tree blocks as
  verified.  E.g., allocating an in-memory bitmap as part of the struct
  fsverity_info.  This should also be optional, in the sense that we shouldn't
  use the memory for it when it's not needed.

- Supporting fs-verity in block_read_full_page() in fs/buffer.c.

There may be other changes needed too; those are just the obvious ones.

Is this something that you or Chris is interested in working on?

- Eric

[Index of Archives]     [linux Cryptography]     [Asterisk App Development]     [PJ SIP]     [Gnu Gatekeeper]     [IETF Sipping]     [Info Cyrus]     [ALSA User]     [Fedora Linux Users]     [Linux SCTP]     [DCCP]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Yosemite Campsites]     [ISDN Cause Codes]