Re: Potential NULL pointer dereference in drivers/video/fbdev/sis/init.c

Hi Shaobo,

On Sat, 2017-02-18 at 00:26 -0700, Shaobo wrote:
> I am applying a static analysis tool to the Linux device drivers and
> got
> an error trace of null pointer dereference in
> drivers/video/fbdev/sis/init.c starting from function
> SiS_SetCRT1FIFO_630: pointer `queuedata` is initialized to NULL at
> line
> 2409 and could get dereferenced at line 2501 if ModeNo <= 0x13 and
> SiS_Pr->ChipType == SIS_730. To be more specific, if ModeNo <= 0x13
> then
> the locations (line 2449 or line 2451)where `queuedata` gets updated
> a non null value is skipped. And if `SiS_Pr->ChipType == SIS_730`,
> then
> `queuedata` is dereferenced. As you can see, the error trace is only
> plausible since it depends on certain conditions. Therefore, I was
> wondering if you could confirm it.
Thanks for your analysis! I agree with your static code analysis and
there is a potential NULL dereference.

Please note that I am not really familiar with the details of this
driver, so I am not sure what the code SHOULD look like and if this
potential dereference can really occur at runtime.

Maybe somebody else with a little bit more insight into the details of
this driver might want to comment on this?

Bye,

Manuel