Re: Idea of a v4l -> fb interface driver

(re-adding lists to CC)

On Thu, 27 May 2010, Rob Clark wrote:

> Hi Guennadi,
>
> Sounds like an interesting idea... but how about the inverse?  A v4l2
> interface on top of fbdev.  If v4l2 was more widely available as an output
> device, perhaps more userspace software would utilize it.

Don't see any advantage in doing this apart from "attracting user-space
developers to develop for v4l2 output interface," which doesn't seem like
a worthy goal in itself. Whereas with my translation you get access to
existing user-space applications and to a powerful in-kernel API, and
achieve a better interoperability with video-input streams.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.