Re: noacl and nouser_xattr

It took long enough to remove these options - I finally ran into it in 6.4.0 (still was working in the previous kernel I was using: 5.14).  If I had not remembered that they were going to be removed someday, I would have never figured out how to fix the updated system so it would boot properly (no error messages that I could see mentioned acls nor user_xattr options).

Also, the man page for ext(2,3,4) still insists these options are valid.
The man page lists itself as:
E2fsprogs version 1.47.0                    February 2023                                    EXT4(5)

The options themselves should be recognized (but ignored) so they are not a serious error (they should report a WARNING when used - both noacl and acl options should report a WARNING that they are ignored, and that acl is assumed).
This should be the case with ANY option that is no longer supported (warning, but ignored).

Additionally, mount should report their state when you query the mount options (on any FS that always supports acl and user_xattr),
particularly when one uses: mount -v
Besides helping the person who is trying to turn them off notice that they are still on, it will also let people who expect them to be on verify that they are on.

Personally, I still would want the option of mounting a local filesystem noacl (which I can effectively do with ZFS).
And I have seen many posts online of others who want that option.  But I understand if it is to complicated to give admins a way to turn it on and off.

quote from the ext4 man page:
Mount options for ext4
       The ext4 file system is an advanced level of the ext3 file system which  incorporates  scala-
       bility and reliability enhancements for supporting large file system.

       The  options  journal_dev,  journal_path,  norecovery, noload, data, commit, orlov, oldalloc,
       [no]user_xattr, [no]acl, bsddf, minixdf, debug, errors, data_err, grpid, bsdgroups,  nogrpid,
       sysvgroups,  resgid,  resuid, sb, quota, noquota, nouid32, grpquota, usrquota, usrjquota, gr-
       pjquota, and jqfmt are backwardly compatible with ext3 or ext2.

Note about paulfm@xxxxxxxxxx:  paulfm@xxxxxxxxxx went away as a valid email address, several years ago.
please contact me at the email this was sent from (if there are any old questions that bounced, you can send them to me).