Re: Question about ext4 extents and file fragmentation

On 21/03/2019 16:05, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> It *could* be read sequentially from the beginning of the file to the
> end.  There are many things that might cause that not to happen, that
> have nothing to do with how we store the logical to physicla map.

And this is what I wanted to know, because some people tell that if you
store a file in a filesystem, it can't be read sequentially as a whole
because of the filesystem layer (compared to "dd if=/dev/sda ..."). So
the filesystem layer doesn't really matter and doesn't really add any
additional delays compared to the raw read of a device when we deal with
data that is stored in contiguous blocks. I know that many things can
prevent the sequential read from happening, but I just wanted it to be
clarified.

Thank you for the answer, I really appreciate it.