Re: Remount with journal_path option in fstab

On May 27, 2018, at 3:42 PM, Niklas Hambüchen <mail@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm using ext4 with external journal on Linux 4.9.
>
> For being explicit I would like to set the journal_path=/dev/... option in /etc/fstab.
>
> However when I do so, then some OS scripts fail.
> This is because `systemd-remount-fs` calls `mount / -o remount`, which fails with
>
>  EXT4-fs (md126): Cannot specify journal on remount
>
> (How) is this supposed to work? Can `journal_path` be given in fstab?
>
> Also, should it really fail with `Cannot specify journal on remount` even when the journal given is the one that is already being used?

I suspect that this is just an oversight, since not many people use
external journals, and even fewer of those use it on the root filesystem,
which means they rarely remount the filesystem once it is mounted.

It probably makes sense to just ignore this option if it is specified in
the mount options and the device has not changed, rather than returning
an error.  Would you be able to submit a patch for this?

Cheers, Andreas