Metadata Checksums Include fs_uuid?

I'm sorry that I'm a little late to the party on this one. I was reading this article. http://lwn.net/Articles/457304/

It appears to describe the file system UUID as part of the checksum. Is that correct?

I am a little concerned, because the UUID can be changed manually using tune2fs. Does changing the UUID invalidate the checksums? Does tune2fs update the checksums based upon the new UUID?

Why does the file system UUID even need to be part of the checksum?

I'm concerned that someone with too little knowledge could hose their own file system.

If I'm way off, I'm sorry.  I'm just trying to learn.

Joseph D. Wagner