Re: ext4_clear_journal_err: Filesystem error recorded from previous mount: IO failure

On 10/25/2010 09:43 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:

> Now, extN has this feature of recording fs errors in the superblock,
> but I'm not sure we distinguish between "errors which require a fsck"
> and others?

That is definitely a good question - is it right to set a generic error
flag, if 'only' I/O errors came up?  The problem is that the error flag
comes from ext4_error() and ext4_abort(), which are all over the code
and which do not make any difference if it just an IO error or real
filesystem issue.

> Anyway your characterization of xfs is wrong, IMHO, it's:
>
> Mount (possibly replaying the journal) because all should be well,
> we have faith in our hardware and our software.
> If during runtime the fs encounters a severe metadata error, it will
> shut down, and this is your cue to unmount and run xfs_repair, then
> remount.  Doesn't seem backwards to me.  ;)  Requiring that fsck
> prior to the first mount makes no sense for a journaling fs.
>
> However, Bernd's issue is probably an issue in general with XFS
> as well (which doesn't record error state on-disk) - how to quickly
> know whether the filesystem you're about to mount in a cluster has
> a -known- integrity issue from a previous mount and really does
> require a fsck.
>
> For XFS, you have to have monitored the previous mount, I guess,
> and watched for any errors the kernel threw when it encountered them.

It really would be helpful, if filesystems would provide a health file
as Lustre does. A generic VFS proc/sys file or IOCTL would be helpful,
to have a generic interface. I probably should write a patch for it ;)

Cheers,
Bernd