Re: need help with getting into a corrupted sub directory

On 2010-01-30, at 10:44, tytso@xxxxxxx wrote:
On 2010-01-29, at 23:07, kyle wrote:
I have a ext3 filesystem created inside a problematic seagate
ST3500320AS drive. The drive will just shut itself down automatically
whenever it hits any read error.

Strange, I had to do the same for a friend, and I think it was the
same drive.
You should put it into a USB enclosure - it speeds things up a lot.

I just checked the drive type that I had this problem on, it is ST3320620AS, as I kept it in case there needed to be more rescue work done. Not exactly the same, but I don't know enough about Seagate model numbers to determine how related they are.

An image copy of the disk will tend to recover more than accessing the
disk via the file system.  I haven't run across the failure mode where
accessing a certain magic block causes the disk to die and require a
power cycle, but in that case what I'd probably do is enhance the
dd_rescue program to take a list of block numbers which it should skip
over....

Well, I thought the same thing initially, but like the poster I have a drive which dies (locks up internally? I don't know) as soon as certain files are accessed. Since I could get 95%+ of the files using the "rsync -av --exclude-from {bad_file_list}" method, and the files I couldn't recover were of marginal value, I did that, as it was expedient.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group