Re: Ext4 Patch Queue using stgit.

Theodore Tso wrote:
On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 06:12:23PM +0530, Aneesh Kumar K.V wrote:
Hi All,

I was looking at ext4 patch queue and was wondering why we are putting .patch under git. If we are looking for a quilt like functionality, one can achieve the same using stgit. I was using stgit to maintain a set of patches before.

The problem with stgit is that you lose the history of the patches.
This is why the stable kernel queue is also kept as a git repository
of patches.

What i used to do with

http://git.openssi.org/~kvaneesh/gitweb.cgi?p=ci-to-linus.git;a=summary

is after doing stg refresh, push all the patches and then commit the diff between the head of the master (which is managed by stgit ) and one of the tracking branches to the tracking branch. That way the history of the patches can be tracked in the tracking branches. In my previous mail i have marked the below urls as eg:

http://git.openssi.org/~kvaneesh/gitweb.cgi?h=2.6.20-rc1-ci-to-linus;p=ci-to-linus.git;a=shortlog

http://git.openssi.org/~kvaneesh/gitweb.cgi?h=2.6.19-rc1-ci-to-linus;p=ci-to-linus.git;a=shortlog

-aneesh
-