Packet loss when ~400 virtual machine connected to a bridge

Hello everyone,

We have a physical server that hosts about 400 virtual machines. Each virtual machine has a TAP device connected to a Linux bridge. We tried to use Linux-KVM suggestions for QEMU networking according to this link https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/10G_NIC_performance:_VFIO_vs_virtio

Unfortunately, we have a packet loss when pinging virtual machines' IP addresses. Pining the physical server is ok, and there is no packet loss. Would you please guide me on how I should find the root cause of the packet loss? Also, it would be great if you share your experience of connecting ~400 VMs to a Linux bridge and if it requires any tuning for handling this number of VMs.

Best regards,

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.