Bridge ports needlessly going through learning stage when STP is disabled

Hi,

I've noticed that in Linux 2.6.15, that even when I have STP disabled on a bridge (which I think is the default), when you add a new interface to the bridge, it still goes through the learning stage and shows STP state display such as TOPOLOGY_CHANGE TOPOLOGY_CHANGE_DETECTED". For this time interval box is unreachable from outside. I have verified this with the help of ping. I found that ping reply stops for some time around 15 to 30 secs, if you add another interface to the bridge. Which is causing some problems for the box.

Is this the right behavior ? The 15 to 30 second delay before the
port moves to Forwarding state can be frustrating, as you don't expect
it, and for that period of time, start to think there is something
else wrong in the network's configuration. Is there any place in the code where I do some change to resolve this issue.

Thanks and regards,

Rahul B