Re: bridge, vlan and *no* stp/bpdu

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Jonathan Thibault <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Andy Gospodarek wrote:
>  > Configurations like this can get tricky at times.  Though it seems to
>  > make perfect sense to put two interfaces like this in the same bridge
>  > the current setup of the linux networking stack makes it hard to get
>  > things working sometimes.  Let me make sure I can understand what you
>  > are trying to accomplish.  Do you want to prevent traffic from vlan 2
>  > and vlan 3 from ever talking while still allowing them to talk to the
>  > gateway?  Will you want vlan 2 and vlan3 to communicate with each
>  > other at all?
>  >
>  Well, the plan is to let the vlans communicate together 'freely', for
>  now.  I'm essentially using the vlan tag as a way to 'figure out' where
>  the packet is coming from.  The network spans a little over 100km in a
>  large, flat /22 subnet.  I wish I could do this the usual way with
>  subnets and what not, but we don't really control the routing and
>  gateway side of things.  So basically, we want to assign a vlan to each
>  branch of the network and avoid having to add a new NIC to the bridge
>  each time we add a new branch.  Feeding it a trunk into it and adding
>  vlan interfaces as needed works better for us since bandwidth is not
>  really the limiting factor.  Well, it would be better if it worked :P
>
>  Now I fully understand that it's not how 90% of people would approach
>  this, including myself, but it's the only option we have given what's on
>  either side of the bridge, which we can't change right now.  The
>  alternative is having a switch split the trunk and then feed that into
>  real (as opposed to vlan) interfaces on the bridge, wich I haven't fully
>  tested yet but am sure would work fine.
>
>  I'd rather focus on solving the bridged vlan thing though, it just might
>  be useful to someone else someday and definitely falls into the 'should
>  work' category as far as I'm concerned.

You still didn't tell us any version numbers, and I've got a similar
setup which "works for me".  The only real difference is that my box
routes between two logical bridges, and the bridged interfaces are
multiple vlans in the same trunk.  I can even protect individual vlans
from each other with netfilter rules.

What if you routed "out" as a new vlan on the same cable as "in"?