Re: bridge, vlan and *no* stp/bpdu

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Jonathan Thibault <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
>  I've posted here about this before, but I realise that it may have been
>  assumed that the bridged vlans simply put a switch port in a blocking
>  state and left my question ignored.  So to recap.

It might have been ignored because you didn't tell us what kernel were
using.  Things change so fast that a bug 2.6.23 might be fixed in
2.6.24 -- someone can easily tell you that if they know the version
info.

>  I have two tg3 interfaces named 'in' and 'out' and a bridge named 'br0'
>
>  My vlan trunk is on the 'in' side of the network, and set as in.2, in.3
>  ...  The 'out' side goes straight to an ipv4 gateway on untagged plain
>  ethernet.
>
>  Putting 'in.2' and 'out' on the bridge works quite well and is roughly
>  what I've been using so far.
>
>  # brctl show
>  bridge name     bridge id               STP enabled     interfaces
>  br0             8000.00e081342870       no              out
>                                                         in.2
>
>  If I add in.3 to the bridge, trouble starts.  The bridge keeps
>  forwarding packets just like it should, with the exception of ARP
>  replies from the gateway to machines in vlan 2.  Machine that had ARPed
>  the gateway prior to adding in.3 to the bridge keep working fine.

Are the ARPs from the 'different' machines on in.3 and in.2 using the
same MAC address (are they even the same machine but with different
VLANs)?