Re: Flushing MAC-tables(?)

On 9/28/07, Mark S. Mathews <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Good catch Richard, I forgot about the stale association problem.

Actually, my note about having the 'new AP' wlan stack generate a
bcast frame in reponse to the association event should take care of
this problem as well.  When the old AP's wlan stack sees a frame
coming in from above (i.e. off the wire) with a source address equal
to one of its associated stations, it _should_ immediately disassoc
that station thus breaking the mac-level STA-to-STA frame path.

I think this 'send a bcast to the wire upon assoc' behavior is listed
in a recommended-practices somewhere (been a long time).  It's
basically a trick to enforce the 'STA shall be associated to
one-and-only-one BSS within an ESS' rule.

Most stations will send a broadcast upon association even without help from the AP (DHCP-REQUEST for example).

In this case, the station that moved can still hear the other station, which makes me believe there is not a stale association, or stale MAC entries, because the stationary node obviously found the new location of the mobile node correctly.  It's the mobile node that can't transmit.  That's backwards from the breakage you'd get from a stale association/stale bridge learn table.

-Mark