From: Stephen Hemminger [mailto:shemminger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, 11 April 2007 3:49 AM
To: Bainbridge, David D
Cc: bridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Bridge Problem: Ping works, nothing else does...

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 14:38:46 +1000
"Bainbridge, David D" <David.D.Bainbridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm a newbie to linux to an extent but have a need to set up a linux
> bridge to do some paclet loss testing using netem.  I have a PC with
> two NIC cards and Fedora 6.  I have created the bridge using the
> following commands
>
> #brctl addbr mybridge
> #brctl addif mybridge eth0
> #brctl addif mybridge eth1
> #brctl mybridge up

I assume you setup IP address for mybridge:
  ifconfig mybridge 192.168.0.X

Check status with:
  brctl showstp mybridge

> Physically I have two IP devices with static IP addresses connected to

> the two NIC cards via cross over cables.  I have tested the NIC cards
> in a non bridged mode and they work fine as normal NICs.  In bridged
> mode I can ping the other IP device.  The IP devices are actually
> realtime audio over IP codec devices and they stream using RTP on UDP
port 5000.
> If I connect the cross over cable directly between the two codec
> devices the audio is transferred fine, if I put the linux bridge
> between them I get nothing but I can still ping.....
>
> A brctl showstp shows the eth0 and eth1 are in forwarding status but
> nothing is happenig.  Can anyone help.  Both Eth1 and 0 are set to Ip
> address of 0.0.0.0
>
> Thanks
>

> Regards
> David Bainbridge

What hardware is being used for eth0 and eth1, I assume both are normal
ether devices. They need to support source address spoofing, and
promiscuous mode.

--
Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>