[Bridge] LAN-WAN Bridging Problem

Stephen,
Thank you for your prompt response.
I had actually tried setting the forward delay to 0 before and many
other commands - none worked. There seem to be only two ways to get the
bridge to work again. 1 (not good) is to reboot the unit the bridge is
on, and 2 (easy, but I don't know how to do it automatically) is to
issue the command "ifconfig eth0 up". You do not need to issue a down
command first either. I also tried the command "ifconfig br0 up" and
that does not work.

When the bridge is not working I can still access those items connected
to eth0 from the bridge's ipaddress using telnet. Per your howto
instructions the bridge takes on the eth0 ipaddress, which was set to 0
so that I have a way to telnet in. This tells me that the ethernet port
is working, so it appears that the link across the bridges two
interfaces is what is not re-instated.

Just for grins, here is my script section that builds the bridge.

        # if you don't set these addresses to zero it won't work
        /sbin/ifconfig hdlc0 ipaddr 0.0.0.0
        /sbin/ifconfig eth0 ipaddr 0.0.0.0
        # Create a bridge device
        /sbin/brctl addbr br0
        /sbin/brctl addif br0 hdlc0    # Add the hdlc port to the bridge
        /sbin/brctl addif br0 eth0    # Adding eth0 last causes the
bridge to take its MAC

        # Now the bridge takes on the original IP address of eth0
        /sbin/ifconfig br0 ipaddr $FEC_IPADDR

        #Bring it up and were done
        /sbin/ifconfig br0 up
        if [ -n "$GATEWAY" ]; then
            echo -n "Setting br0 Gateway Address from eth0..."
            /sbin/route add default gw $GATEWAY br0 && echo "Done." ||
echo "Failed!"
        fi

I've also tried removing the Gateway portion of the script, adding the
two interfaces in the opposite order, zeroing the two physical
interfaces IP adresses after building the bridge, but none of that seems
to have any effect.

Regards,
Mike Boutte