[Bridge] LAN-WAN Bridging Problem

Hello,
I am experiencing what may be a unique problem with operating the
bridge. My hardware is custom Freescale MPC875 processor based with one
ethernet (eth0) and one hdlc (hdlc0) WAN port and I am connecting two of
these boards together using the WAN ports over a long distance -
essentially two bridges in series.  They are running Linux 2.6.15 with
bridging enabled in the kernel configuration. When I first power up both
boards the bridge comes up fine and the two outside LANs are connected
as if it were one LAN with a smart long cable in between. brctl works to
set it up and the "showmacs" properly shows all of the MACs on each end.

The problem occurs If I disconnect the ethernet cable directly from the
bridge at either end. The console on the disconnected units says "br0:
port 2(eth0) entering disabled state". When I reconnect the cable it
shows "br0: port 2(eth0) entering learning state" plus messages about
network topology change detected. That LAN end no longer has a link to
the other end, yet at the console of the unit disconnected and
reconnected I can ping in either direction to any device in both LAN
segments. Time makes no difference, but if I issue the command "ifconfig
eth0 down" and then back "up" the link is almost immediately restored.
This works either while the cable is disconnected or after it is
reconnected.

I compared the effect of a cable disconnect with a standard PC running
Linux and it seems to be identical, that is, ifconfig shows the port as
up even when the cable is disconnected on both. I tried having STP
enabled or disabled, and adding the ports into br0 in the opposite order
with no difference either. Any ideas on why the bridge does not
automatically restore? and especially on how I can make it automatically
restore itself?

Thank you for your kind attention.

Mike Boutte