[Bridge] Problem bridging frames with bridge and real interface MTU > 1527

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:10:28 +0930
"Mark Zipp" <mark.r.zipp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>

> On 24/05/06, Stephen Hemminger <shemminger at osdl.org> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > > Thanks for your help,
> > > Mark.
> > The problem (as I remember it) was often with ip_conntrack. It
> > reassembles fragmented
> > IP packets to look at them, then didn't fragment on output.
> >

> Strange thing was that even after I was able to successfully do 2024
> byte pings through the bridge, with and without iptables connection
> tracking rules in place, I still encountered the problem with the
> oversized IP/GRE traffic that I'm trying to capture. What I think is
> also interesting is that even though when I set the MTUs on the
> ethernet interfaces and the bridge to 1527, not only does it all work,
> the bridge is also forwarding frames that have a 1528 byte MTU (IP +
> GRE + original 1500 byte IP packet), which I think should make the
> bridge drop the frames as too large, yet setting the MTU 1528 on the
> bridge and interfaces makes it fail.
>
> Maybe it is the different ways IP connection tracking treats ICMP /
> Ping traffice verses IP/GRE traffic that is causing the issue.
>
> I've got some more testing to do again, this time around I'll try the
> 2024 byte MTU on the bridge, and a blind iptables permit all to and
> from the bridge interfaces, which should hopefully eliminate ip
> connection tracking from the equation, therefore identifying it as the
> cause.
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Mark.

You may want to either add some debug tracing or just try capturing packets
to see the resulting traffic.  I suspect connection tracking may be the
culprit since it often does higher layer filtering.