[Bridge] Problem bridging frames with bridge and real interface MTU > 1527

Hi Stephen,

On 24/05/06, Stephen Hemminger <shemminger at osdl.org> wrote:
<snip>

> > Thanks for your help,
> > Mark.
> The problem (as I remember it) was often with ip_conntrack. It
> reassembles fragmented
> IP packets to look at them, then didn't fragment on output.

Strange thing was that even after I was able to successfully do 2024
byte pings through the bridge, with and without iptables connection
tracking rules in place, I still encountered the problem with the
oversized IP/GRE traffic that I'm trying to capture. What I think is
also interesting is that even though when I set the MTUs on the
ethernet interfaces and the bridge to 1527, not only does it all work,
the bridge is also forwarding frames that have a 1528 byte MTU (IP +
GRE + original 1500 byte IP packet), which I think should make the
bridge drop the frames as too large, yet setting the MTU 1528 on the
bridge and interfaces makes it fail.

Maybe it is the different ways IP connection tracking treats ICMP /
Ping traffice verses IP/GRE traffic that is causing the issue.

I've got some more testing to do again, this time around I'll try the
2024 byte MTU on the bridge, and a blind iptables permit all to and
from the bridge interfaces, which should hopefully eliminate ip
connection tracking from the equation, therefore identifying it as the
cause.

Thanks for your time,
Mark.