[Bridge] Bridge code enhancement (link state detection) and bug fix. (patches included).

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 20:57:23 +0200
Mark Ruijter <bridge@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1. Link state monitoring added.
> We discovered the following problem with the existing bridge code.
> The code doesn't monitor the link state of the interfaces. When using
> two cisco switches with two Linux bridging firewalls the following
> problem exists. When the Cisco switch that has the blocking (stp) Linux
> bridge attached dies, the Linux bridge no longer receives stp packets
> and changes it's state from blocking to forwarding. As soon as the Cisco
> switch comes back alive a loop is created in the network for a short but
> long enough period of time. :-(
>
> To fix this I added link state monitoring to the code. This is only
> active when stp is turned on. When a link fails the bridge port goes to
> blocked and then to the new 'nolink' status. The bridge-utils patch
> makes it possible to see the status with brctl showstp.

Could you split out the link state monitoring, and look at bonding to see
how they are doing it?

I have a fix for vlan code that passes MII and ethtool requests from the virtual
to physical device, so the bridge code wouldn't need to the hack about root device.