[Bridge] control packet flow

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:06:32 -0700 (PDT)
hell know <sp0ck1701@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Greetings all.
>
> I need a transparent way of selectively controlling packet flow between two network devices such that for example I can "see" [e.g. tcpdump] a packet coming into eth0, queue it, and then manually release it out eth1, one packet at a time.  See diagram below.  (Reason for doing this is to watch the behavior of the device under test to certain packets but I cannot control the speed of the packets from the traffic source so I need an intermediary to do that).
>
> [PC/traffic initiator] -- [bridge] -- [device under test]
>
> I've looked at nistnet, but that would only work for IP packets, and requires you to use it as a router as I understand it, which wouldn't work here.  I've also looked at IET which seemed to be what I need, but unless I'm doing something wrong it crashes very badly under RHAT 9.0 and SuSE 9.0.
>
> Is there any simple way to write a 'hook' into bridge-utils or the kernel to do this?  Are there any other utilities anyone can point me to?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance!!!

Two ways I have used are using netfilter bridge tables (ebtables) to label
or control what goes through.  You could route it out to your application then
re-inject it.  Of course if your doing only that you probably want to use something
like tun or tap .

If you want to do things that change packet speed,
you need to look at the QoS scheduling methods for devices.