[Bridge] control packet flow

Greetings all.

I need a transparent way of selectively controlling packet flow between two network devices such that for example I can "see" [e.g. tcpdump] a packet coming into eth0, queue it, and then manually release it out eth1, one packet at a time.  See diagram below.  (Reason for doing this is to watch the behavior of the device under test to certain packets but I cannot control the speed of the packets from the traffic source so I need an intermediary to do that).

[PC/traffic initiator] -- [bridge] -- [device under test]

I've looked at nistnet, but that would only work for IP packets, and requires you to use it as a router as I understand it, which wouldn't work here.  I've also looked at IET which seemed to be what I need, but unless I'm doing something wrong it crashes very badly under RHAT 9.0 and SuSE 9.0.

Is there any simple way to write a 'hook' into bridge-utils or the kernel to do this?  Are there any other utilities anyone can point me to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance!!!