Re: Why is the deferred initcall patch not mainline?

On Fri, 24 Oct 2014, Rob Landley wrote:

> On 10/23/14 19:36, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
>
> > As you know already, you can do anything you want on your own.  That's
> > granted by the GPL.
>
> I'm pretty sure I could have done anything I wanted on my own with
> System 6 unix in the 1970's (modulo being 7 years old), since the BSD
> guys _did_ and their stuff is still around (and is powering obscure
> things like the iPhone).

Incidentally there is this thing called Linux powering similarly obscur
curiosities such as Android, and outnumbering iPhones in terms of units
shipped.

So what's your point again?

> And I learned C in 1989 to apply "mod" files to the WWIV bulletin
> board system (an open source development community that didn't even
> have the "patch" program).

You needed to pay a license to get the WWIV source code.  At least that
was the case when I was a sysop in 1993.

> But by all means, credit the GPL for the existence of open source.

Oh my!  Obviously that's exactly what I did, right?

And now you want me to take what you say seriously?

The impression I get from your diatribe is that you might be living in
the past.  I don't dispute the fact that You had issues with the Linux
community before, but one has to admit that a _lot_ of people don't. And
I'm lucky enough to be one of them, and in that context I was trying to
help.

> Did you notice that there's no such thing as "the GPL" anymore? Linux
> and Samba implement two ends of the same protocol, each one is GPL, and
> they can't share code. Poor QEMU wants to suck GPL processor definitions
> out of binutils/gdb to emulate processors and GPL driver code out of
> Linux to emulate devices, and there _is_ no license that allows it to
> combine code from both sources. (Making qemu "GPLv2 or later" means it
> couldn't accept code from _either_ source.)

And now we're far far away from $subject that started this thread.
This is going nowhere.

> I'm going to recuse myself from the rest of this thread because I'm
> clearly getting annoyed with us talking past each other. Somebody's got
> an actual patch (which they still haven't linked to). I'll shut up and
> let them show you the code.

On that I agree with you.

Nicolas