Re: Why is the deferred initcall patch not mainline?

On 10/21/2014 12:37 PM, Bird, Tim wrote:

< snip >

> With regards to doing it dynamically, I'd have to think about how
> to do that.  Having text-based lists of things to do at runtime seems
> to fit with how we're using device tree these days, but I'm not sure
> how that would work.

Initcall function names are not available without KALLSYMS.  That
dependency would increase kernel size.  So "text based" does not
seem too good.

Of course, if you are creating a "text based list" at compile time,
a macro could easily convert an init function text name to the
function pointer that is used in do_initcall_level().  Thus you
would have a not so large list of function pointers.

< snip >

-Frank