Re: Q: file system for embedded

Le 14.06.2012 14:58, Ran Shalit a écrit :

> Hi Christophe,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
> I have no need to write to flash during the main application
> execution: I will program the configuration and executable before
> start of execution, and after initialization there is no need to write
> again to flash.

How are you going to program the flash ? Which initialization ?

> What I still do not understand is why cramfs, ubifs are recommended
> for embedded if they access the flash.

For the reasons I gave in my previous email. I never used cramfs but I
see that it is a read-only compressed format (like supported in JFFS2)
which decompresses your data on-the-fly before read/execution hence
allowing to store more information if your flash is small.

> Is accessing the flash not a problem in embedded linux ?

I'm not sure what you mean here. It's not a problem, but it requires
some care.

> What does it mean using mlockall with cramfs ?

Well if you don't have swap enabled mlockall has no effect since there
is nowhere to swap anyway. But I'm not sure I understand your question.

> Regards, Ran

Regards,

--
Christophe Aeschlimann

Embedded Software Engineer & IT Manager
ACN Advanced Communications Networks S.A.
2000 - Neuchâtel, Switzerland
Tel. +41 32 724 74 31