Re: Q: file system for embedded

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Christophe Aeschlimann
<c.aeschlimann@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le 13.06.2012 23:31, Ran Shalit a écrit :
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I hope you can help main understand issue of file system for embedded linux.
>> I read free-electrons "Embedded Linux system development training" and
>> some of the files recommended there such as cramfs, are aceesing the
>> flash during execution of apllications. As far as I understand
>> accessing the flash after initilization is not good in embedded
>> system.
>

> Define not good... some applications requires write accesses to the
> flash. (how would you program music in your MP3 player ? Where do you
> store crash dumps so they are persistent across reboot ? Where do you
> store your user configurable options, etc.)
>
> There are different kinds of flash memory but each have a limited number
> of program/erase cycle so you have to use them sparingly. (e.g. make
> sure the write accesses are distributed across the chip that's called
> "wear levelling", detect when bits have toggled and correct the error
> using some extra redundancy stored in the out-of-band area of each block
> (e.g. ECC). If the error cannot be repaired mark the block as unusable.
>
> When you access the bare memory chips then these issues are solved in
> the different layers of MTD [1] and the specific flash file system [2] :
> JFFS2, UBIFS, etc.
>
> If you don't access the bare memory chips e.g. you use eMMC or an SSD
> these problems are left to a dedicated controller/firmware.
>
> [1] http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/index.html
> [2] http://elinux.org/File_Systems
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
> Christophe Aeschlimann

Hi Christophe,

Thanks for the reply.
I have no need to write to flash during the main application
execution: I will program the configuration and executable before
start of execution, and after initialization there is no need to write
again to flash.
What I still do not understand is why cramfs, ubifs are recommended
for embedded if they access the flash.
Is accessing the flash not a problem in embedded linux ? What does it
mean using mlockall with cramfs ?
Regards, Ran