Re: Embedded Linux Boot Time Poll

On 22/10/10 00:20, Andrew Murray wrote:
Hello,

I'm performing some research [for a CELF presentation] into reducing
boot time on embedded systems and would like to see if the embedded
community agree with the following statement as to why Linux
[arguably] takes so long in the first place for an unoptimised system:

"Linux is general purpose, convenient and flexible. As it's general
purpose it's likely to contain un-required functionality which results
in more initialisation and a larger image size. As it's convenient and
flexible it will spent time discovering devices and verifying their
existence."

Do you largely agree or disagree?
Also do you believe that boot time isn't the highest priority when it
comes to improving the kernel?

Thanks,

Andrew Murray

From my experience, your statements are broadly correct. As has been pointed out, there are techniques to optimise the boot time in a system, but they are not very well known to the majority of engineers working on embedded Linux devices. The situation is not helped by the poor choices made by many board and chip level vendors who bundle a Linux tool chain and rootfs with their hardware. So, I believe that it is mostly a problem of education, starting with the chip- and board- vendors.