Re: Embedded Linux Boot Time Poll

Hi Andy,

Talking about boot time with Linux needs to cover how user space initialization is done. I'm talking about init runlevels and all of this inherited functionality from System V. This is a software issue and although it worked fine for years in servers and desktop systems, it is not the right option for embedded systems dedicated to final users like mobile phones, cameras, minilaptos, tablets, ... .

As you probably know, there are people working in this specific part trying to improve the way Linux is doing this things like avoiding shell scripts as much as possible and doing things in parallel when dependencies do not exist.

By other hand, some embedded systems, those gaining main attention, are clearly closer to generic purpose Linux systems as we know them and it will be even more difuse in the close future. But generic purpose and boot time reduction should not be incompatible.

Andrew Murray <amurray@xxxxxxxxxxx> ha escrito:

Hello,

I'm performing some research [for a CELF presentation] into reducing
boot time on embedded systems and would like to see if the embedded
community agree with the following statement as to why Linux
[arguably] takes so long in the first place for an unoptimised system:

"Linux is general purpose, convenient and flexible. As it's general
purpose it's likely to contain un-required functionality which results
in more initialisation and a larger image size. As it's convenient and
flexible it will spent time discovering devices and verifying their
existence."

Do you largely agree or disagree?
Also do you believe that boot time isn't the highest priority when it
comes to improving the kernel?

Thanks,

Andrew Murray