Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/2] u_char.c and mtp.c patches

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 12:44:51AM +0200, ext Greg KH wrote:
If you know the patent numbers, please send them to me.  There are very
simple methods of routing around patents.  Also, the USB-IF is very
interested in patents that cover USB related things, as they could
possibly violate the USB-IF agreement that companies are forced to sign
to join it.

you might have better contacts than I do. Last time I contacted them regarding MS problems - at that time, I was complaining that Windows doesn't fetch all config descriptors - they replied that "other devices have passed USB Certification, so why can't you?"

It's too bad when the Specification authority doesn't want to hear about mis-implementations of their own specification. Anyways...

Take a look here:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/connect/usb/os_desc.mspx

it doesn't say the patent number but it does say that "Microsoft agrees to grant a nonexclusive, royalty-free, world-wide license under these copyrights, patents or applications solely to implement the Microsoft OS Descriptor Specification to interface with (i) a Microsoft OS Descriptor enabled operating system or (ii) other systems authorized by Microsoft to retrieve and use this information, on condition that you agree not to assert any intellectual property rights against Microsoft or other companies for their implementation of the Specification."

We just need to check whether Linux falls into the "other systems authorized by Microsoft" category. I would guess not :-p

--
balbi