Re: XZ (LZMA2) decoder

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009, Lasse Collin wrote:
> On 2009-03-25 Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> > Is this something the linux-embedded community must pick up, or maybe
> > even the LKML?
>
> In December, there was some discussion on linux-embedded about getting
> LZMA decoder into Linux. I understood that some of the existing patches
> had trouble meeting the kernel quality standards. There were also
> requirements like support for multi-call decoding, which should be
> useful at least in Squashfs. I promised to write a nice-looking .xz file
> format decoder for Linux (.xz will replace the .lzma format) and post to
> linux-embedded when I have something to show.

Yes, this is interesting work!

> Assuming there still is interest like there was in December, hope I will
> get some feedback to know if my code looks promising and possibly how it
> should be improved to be good for in-kernel use. This is my first Linux
> kernel related coding project, so there probably are things (other than
> plain bugs) that need to be fixed before the code can be considered for
> inclusion.

I gave it a quick test on ppc64, and the kernel part built fine with sparse
checking enabled (make C=1), without any warnings.

> If linux-embedded is not the best list for this, I can post to LKML too.
> However, since I promised to post at least to linux-embedded, and the
> discussion on this list in December was very helpful for me to
> understand what is required from an in-kernel decompressor, starting a
> new discussion first on linux-embedded sounded obvious to me.

Ccing lkml wouldn't hurt, I think.

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Techsoft Centre Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven@xxxxxxxxxxx
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

A division of Sony Europe (Belgium) N.V.
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis · BIC GEBABEBB · IBAN BE41293037680010