Re: XZ (LZMA2) decoder

On 2009-03-25 Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> Is this something the linux-embedded community must pick up, or maybe
> even the LKML?

In December, there was some discussion on linux-embedded about getting
LZMA decoder into Linux. I understood that some of the existing patches
had trouble meeting the kernel quality standards. There were also
requirements like support for multi-call decoding, which should be
useful at least in Squashfs. I promised to write a nice-looking .xz file
format decoder for Linux (.xz will replace the .lzma format) and post to
linux-embedded when I have something to show.

Assuming there still is interest like there was in December, hope I will
get some feedback to know if my code looks promising and possibly how it
should be improved to be good for in-kernel use. This is my first Linux
kernel related coding project, so there probably are things (other than
plain bugs) that need to be fixed before the code can be considered for
inclusion.

If linux-embedded is not the best list for this, I can post to LKML too.
However, since I promised to post at least to linux-embedded, and the
discussion on this list in December was very helpful for me to
understand what is required from an in-kernel decompressor, starting a
new discussion first on linux-embedded sounded obvious to me.

Stable userspace tools to handle .xz files are still not available. I
simply haven't worked on them much in the past two months. I naturally
hope to get the stable release out soon, but my ability work on these
projects depends on a couple of other things in my life, so it's better
I don't promise anything detailed. On the positive side, the latest XZ
Utils beta should be quite good already.

--
Lasse Collin  |  IRC: Larhzu @ IRCnet & Freenode