Re: Recommendation for activating a deferred module init in the kernel

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 09:20:22AM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 09:47 +0300, Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:
> > > This may sound like a stupid question, but why are you compiling the
> > > modules statically?
> >
> > I wondered that.
> >
> > One potential reason to avoid modules is that they waste RAM -- you have
> > to allocate an integral number of pages for each one, which means an
> > average of 2KiB wasted for each module you load. Although that isn't
> > much, it's not zero either. It might be possible to optimise that by
> > 'packing' module allocations, if you're careful about it.
> > So the only real reason I can see to avoid modules in the _current_
> > kernel would be the wasted RAM, which should be something we can
> > address.
>
> You miss the size increase imposed by CONFIG_MODULES=y.
>
> E.g. setting CONFIG_MODULES=y in the arm collie_defconfig will
> increase the size of vmlinux by 14% (sic).
>
> I haven't investigated why it takes that much space, but stuff like
> kernel/module.o taking 23kB and each EXPORT_SYMBOL requiring a few
> bytes simply cannot be completely eliminated.

Sounds like we need a tool that strips out the unneeded symbols, given a list
of modules?

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Techsoft Centre
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven@xxxxxxxxxxx
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

Sony Technology and Software Centre Europe
A division of Sony Service Centre (Europe) N.V.
Registered office: Technologielaan 7 · B-1840 Londerzeel · Belgium
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis 293-0376800-10 GEBA-BE-BB