Re: problems bringing up CF based file system (2.6.25)

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Rob Landley <rob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is it even possible to use just _parts_ of the SCSI layer, without sucking in
> the whole thing?
>
> I think the fact it's called a "layer" is a bit of a hint, actually.  Don't
> embedded folks generally try to _avoid_ unnecessary layering, and pulling in
> large code libraries to perform a small task?

Good questions, it does seem quite excessive. Interestingly enough,
there is a platform option for the IDE driver as well
(CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PLATFORM): could it be the a better way to drive the
CF card in true IDE mode?

I must be missing something very basic, but can't get over this hurdle:

if I enable PATA platofrm, and define the card local bus/card in the
dts file, the card gets detected and properly recognized, but no
device seems to be created in /dev, so the card does not get mounted
when the board comes up.

If I enable CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PLATFORM instead (and no dts file
definitions), I can't get the probe function to be invoked, so the
card does not even get detected.

People, does anyone have CF card up and running in 2.6.25 - please,
share your secrets! :-)

Seriously, it is quite frustrating, I would really appreciate any extra hints,

TIA,
vadim