Re: Cross-posting linux-media, linux-dvb etc

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009, Patrick Boettcher wrote:

> Why not closing linux-dvb (and video4linux) and transferring the currently
> subscribed users to linux-media automatically?

Can I offer my opinions to differ?

First, I'm only subscribed to -dvb in order to post, yet still
I haven't posted what I originally planned to post before
unsubscribing until another device fails to work.  Luckily
the video4linux list was impossible to access (even the
archives needed subsciption, furrfu).

Anyway, soon after the creation of -media, I saw that the
crossposts from v4linux were of no interest to me (I'm only
interested in delivery of already-digital payloads, and am
not concerned with webcams, analogue radio or TV, remote
controls, and so on) -- since then I've skipped something
like 2/3 of the posts on -media, and today, I wouldn't want
it to appear in my mailbox.  But that's just my interest.

Also, I seem to recall that one intent of -media was to
focus on developer interest, as the initial posts revealed,
which also frees developers with better things to do than
to explain how to, for example, get a list of channels, or
stream a particular channel and be bothered by beginner or
simple questions that could be answered by those without
developer abilities.  Like me.

Anyway, it's no big deal to me.  I'm used to how the one
FreeBSD -multimedia list covers everything including sound,
yet typically gets fewer posts in a week than -dvb could
see in a day, and I can't see myself investing in another
DVB-type receiver soon until DVB-S2 support gets properly
rounded out and 100% reliable for all `experimental'-tagged
devices, so I'm quite content to browse the list just as I
skim the kernel list, or peer in on a few dozen other BSD-
type lists whenever I feel like it.

yerz,
barry bouwsma
off to answer a newbie question next