Re: em28xx frontend does not attach

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 14:09:00 +0100
Elio Voci <elio.voci@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have recently upgraded my Debian Lenny from kernel 2.6.25 to 2.6.26.
> After this, I couldn't use my Cinergy Hybrid T USB XS (0ccd:0042).
> Up to now I used the mcentral.de driver, now I would like to switch to
> linuxtv driver.
>
> Following the wiki "How to install DVB device drivers, and "How to build
> drivers from Mercurial", I have cloned v4l-dvb. Make and install ran
> smoothly.
> I have generated the firmware from
> http://www.steventoth.net/linux/xc5000/HVR-12x0-14x0-17x0_1_25_25271_WHQL.zip, Driver85/hcw85bda.sys
>
> em28xx installed correctly, dvb frontend did not: zl10353_read_register
> returned -19
> Below the relevant dmesg section (em28xx modprobed with core_debug=1

It is probably not that complicated for you to fix the Cinergy Hybrid entry at
v4l-dvb.

You'll need to use usbsnoop tool to capture what the original driver is doing
[1].

After that, you can parse the log and fix the initialization values for
GPIO and GPO registers. You can also load em28xx with reg_dump=1 and parse the
dmesg output with the em28xx parser, comparing to what the windows driver did.

[1] http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Bus_snooping/sniffing#Snooping_Procedures:

Cheers,
Mauro