Re: Twinhan VisionPlus DVB-T Card not working

Terry Barnaby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having a problem with the latest DVB drivers.
> I have a Twinhan VisionPlus DVB-T card (and other DVB cards) in my
> MythTv server running Fedora 8. This is running fine
> with the Fedora stock kernel: 2.6.26.6-49.fc8.
>
> However, I have now added a Hauppauge DVB-S2 and so have been
> trying the latest DVB Mercurial DVB tree.
> This compiles and installs fine and the two DVB-T cards and the
> new DVB-S card are recognised and has /dev/dvb entries.
> The first DVB-T card, a Twinhan based on the SAA7133/SAA7135
> works fine but the Twinhan VisionPlus, which is Bt878 will not
> tune in.
>
> Any ideas ?
> Has there been any recent changes to the Bt878 driver that could
> have caused this ?

I have been playing around with the bt8xx source code.
If I set "dst_algo = 1" in "bt8xx/dst.c" then my Twinhan VisionPlus
DVB-T appears to work.
This parameter appears to enable hardware rather than software tuning.
I assume there is some bug in the software tuning algorithm ...

What are the benefits of software tuning over hardware based tuning ?

Cheers

Terry