Re: em28xx "card=" argument

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:24:44 -0500
> "Devin Heitmueller" <devin.heitmueller@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Mauro,
>>
>> What do you think about removing the "card=" module option from
>> em28xx?  Users who don't know any better might be inclined to try the
>> various cards in the list and could burn out their hardware if they
>> select a card with the wrong GPIOs.
>>
>> I can submit a patch that takes it out.  Let me know what you think.
>
> nack. This option is needed, since some cards can't be auto-detected. For
> example, that device with ALC655 is a capture only device that doesn't have any
> eeprom. Also, the autodetect hints think it is an Oral Camera. So, it uses the
> "generic id". Of course, the generic entry doesn't work for it.

Do you mean the PointNix Intra-Oral USB camera?  I guess it's possible
they both have the same eeprom hash value.  I can find out if perhaps
the i2c hash is better (I haven't looked at that code though).

I added the PointNix camera support, so I can probably find out the
i2c hash if that helps us.

I'm just concerned about cases where we are poking the GPIOs.  This
could destroy hardware if abused by users that don't know any better.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller
http://www.devinheitmueller.com