Re: HD over satellite? (h.264)

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Florin Andrei wrote:

> If the Nova-S-Plus can also receive some of the radio stations on Galaxy
> 25, then so much better. If not, no big deal.

There are a few encrypted radios there, as well as a pay-radio
package.

Any free radios that you can receive with your present set-top
receiver, can also be received with any DVB-S card.  As
my constant listening to time-shifted programming proves...
Cursed sat radio.  Were it not for that, I might be doing
something completely different and useful with my life
instead.

Looks as if the majority of programming on this bird is
comparable to what can be seen from europe on the Hotbirds
satellites -- minus the italian platform and some european
broadcasters.  No doubt with compression/quality levels
that match -- just in case any readers in europe have any
interest in the content carried.

I don't know how the penetration of FTA DVB-S boxes in
the target markets of this satellite compares with that
in parts of Europe -- the satellite carriers can profit
from the increased bitrate they would see with DVB-S2
while still carrying highly-compressed SD MPEG2, or more
likely they could practically triple the number of
programmes per transponder by combining DVB-S2 and H.264,
and my finger is far removed from the pulse of what any
broadcasters, carriers, or playout centres might plan
as a migration to more efficient standards in your part
of the world.  This may be sooner if there is not a large
installed base of customer-owned equipment to be obsoleted.

Good luck with your card...

barry bouwsma