HVR-1800 S-Video and Audio In

I have a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800.  I recently set up a computer with
Linux kernel 2.6.27 and I'm trying out the analog inputs.  I've also
used 2.6.24 with drivers from mercurial.  The colors on my S-Video input
are pulsating and flickering.  Solid reds are most noticeable.  Some of
the color problems appear to line up in evenly spaced vertical bands.  I
see similar constant vertical bands if I try to use video sizes other
than 720x480.  The colors on the Composite input seem to be OK.  I've
used satellite receiver outputs and laptop video outputs to test.  The
same S-Video outputs over the same cable to other devices work OK.  I
used tvtime to view the inputs directly and saw the same thing in the
MPEG output.

Are the RCA Audio In jacks supposed to work with the MPEG encoder?  I
get MPEG audio from the analog TV tuner but the composite/S-Video modes
record only silence.

--
Jeff DeFouw <jeffd@xxxxxxx>