Re: [RFC] Let the future decide between the two.

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Christophe Thommeret <hftom@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le Thursday 25 September 2008 08:45:28 Michel Verbraak, vous avez écrit :
>> I have been following the story about the discussion of the future of
>> the DVB API for the last two years and after seen all the discussion I
>> would like to propose the following:
>>
>> - Keep the two different DVB API sets next to one another. Both having a
>> space on Linuxtv.org to explain their knowledge and how to use them.
>> - Each with their own respective maintainers to get stuff into the
>> kernel. I mean V4L had two versions.
>> - Let driver developers decide which API they will follow. Or even
>> develop for both.
>> - Let application developers decide which API they will support.
>> - Let distribution packagers decide which API they will have activated
>> by default in their distribution.
>> - Let the end users decide which one will be used most. (Probably they
>> will decide on: Is my hardware supported or not).
>> - If democracy is that strong one of them will win or maybey the two
>> will get merged and we, the end users, get best of both worlds.
>>
>> As the subject says: This is a Request For Comment.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Michel (end user and application developer).
>
> 2 years ago, i would have said "good idea".
> But 2 years ago.

I agree on that, this should then also count for other things which
are going on.
Even after those 2 years it would keep the whole thing rolling when allowing
both technologies while it won't kick out anyone else.
As for the enduser it's the best way to go since all devices would be supported
with the least extra development costs now.

Markus