Re: [ANNOUNCE] DVB API improvements

On Wednesday 24 September 2008 00:06:59 VDR User wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
>
> <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The DVB BOF had the presence of the following LinuxTV members:
> >
> >        Douglas Schilling Landgraf
> >        Hans Verkuil
> >        Mauro Carvalho Chehab
> >        Michael Krufky
> >        Patrick Boettcher
> >        Steven Toth
> >        Thierry Merle
> >        Manjunath Hadlii
>
> At least half of that list already pledged their support for S2API
> and based on past observations, I seriously doubt the meeting was
> unbiased and a decision made based on strictly technical aspects.

So you doubt anyone who previously stated his opinion on multiproto or
S2API is unable to make a decision on technical merrits? Since most
linuxtv devs already gave their opinion on the API proposal nobody is
able to make a decision.

> I also believe the panel should consist of people intimately familiar
> with DVB, not half people who aren't and the other half people who've
> already made up their mind.  Call me crazy but I don't see how a
> legitimate discussion can take place under those conditions.

Are you going to sponser and organize a meeting of all linuxtv DVB
developers?
I agree that it would have been nice if more developers and especially
Manu would have been at the DVB BOF. But more than 2/3 (849/1245) of
the commits to drivers/media/dvb in the last 1000 days were done by
people present at the meeting. It's not completly unreasonable to treat
a decision of that group as a decission of the linuxtv developers.

> > The main arguments in favor of S2API over Multiproto are:
> >
> >        - Future proof – the proposal for S2API is more flexible,
> > easily allowing the addition of newer features and new standard
> > support;
> >
> >        - Simplicity – S2API patches are very simple, while
> > Multiproto presented a very complex series of changes. Simpler
> > approaches reduces the time for maintaining the source code;
> >
> >        - Capability of allowing improvements even on the existing
> > standards, like allowing diversity control that starts to appear on
> > newer DVB devices.
>
> My previous comment aside, I would like to ask for a more detailed
> explanation that justifies these arguments,

I support that, please be more verbose.

Janne