Re: [ANNOUNCE] DVB API improvements

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The DVB BOF had the presence of the following LinuxTV members:
>
>        Douglas Schilling Landgraf
>        Hans Verkuil
>        Mauro Carvalho Chehab
>        Michael Krufky
>        Patrick Boettcher
>        Steven Toth
>        Thierry Merle
>        Manjunath Hadlii

At least half of that list already pledged their support for S2API and
based on past observations, I seriously doubt the meeting was unbiased
and a decision made based on strictly technical aspects.  I also
believe the panel should consist of people intimately familiar with
DVB, not half people who aren't and the other half people who've
already made up their mind.  Call me crazy but I don't see how a
legitimate discussion can take place under those conditions.

> The main arguments in favor of S2API over Multiproto are:
>
>        - Future proof – the proposal for S2API is more flexible, easily
>          allowing the addition of newer features and new standard support;
>
>        - Simplicity – S2API patches are very simple, while Multiproto
>          presented a very complex series of changes. Simpler approaches
>          reduces the time for maintaining the source code;
>
>        - Capability of allowing improvements even on the existing standards,
>          like allowing diversity control that starts to appear on newer DVB
>          devices.

My previous comment aside, I would like to ask for a more detailed
explanation that justifies these arguments, which would provide proof
for both the validity of the claims and that the meeting really was
fair & balanced to some degree because the arguments, in their current
state, prove nothing.  You could easily flip those points (and many
more) around to favor Multiproto.  I'm asking for convincing evidence
so that if what's being claimed is really true, we can all move
forward with peace of mind and put to rest that this whole thing has
been tainted by personal problems and politics among the people
involved.

Thanks.