why opensource will fail

Hi,
     now that I have your attention:-{)=

I believe that this community has a real problem. There appears to be
little willingness to help and mentor newcomers. This will limit the
effectiveness of the community because it will hinder expansion of
people who are both willing and able to work on the code. Eventually
this issue  will lead to the community dying simply because you have
people leaving but few joining.

The card I was working on has been around for  a while now. There have
been three attempts so far to get it working with Linux. Two in this
community and one against the mcentral.de tree. Both attempts in this
community have failed not because of a lack of willingness of the people
involved to do the hard yards but because of the inability of the
community to mentor and help newcomers.

The third attempt by a Czech programmer succeeded, however it is
dependent on the mcentral.de tree and the author appears to have made no
attempt to get the patch into the tree. The original instructions to
produce a driver set are in Czech. However instructions in english for
2.6.22 are available - ubuntu gutsy. I will soon be putting up
instructions for 2.6.24 - hardy. They may even work  for later revisions
since the big issue was incompatible versioning.

I understand from recent posts to this list that many in the community
are disturbed by the existence of mcentral.de. Well every person from
now on who wants to run the Leadtek Winfast DTV1800H will be using that
tree. Since the card is excellent value for what it is, there should be
lots of them. Not helping newcomers who are trying to add cards has led
and will lead to increased fragmentation.

And before you say or think that we are all volunteers here, I am a
volunteer also. I have spent close to 3 weeks on this code and it is
very close to working. The biggest difference between working code in
the mcentral.de tree and the patch I was working on is the firmware that
is used.

Finally you might consider that if few developers are prepared to work
on the v4l-dvb tree, then much of the fun will disappear because those
few will have to do everything.

Cheers Paul

believed to be clean.