Re: Multiproto API/Driver Update

--- On Mon, 9/8/08, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Second, how do non-DVB-like technologies like DAB (Eureka-147) fit
> > into the scope of either multiproto or S2API -- or must they
> > remain outside of v4l-dvb?
>
> There is already a kernel module called dabusb for ages.

I just looked at it again, now that I know a bit more about
how DAB works, and to confirm the impression I got earlier
when I was thinking about seeing if I could make it work
with my (then) new DAB-able device.

This seems to be written specifically for one particular
product, which I don't have, and I've forgotten what I've
read about it.  It seems to be mostly loading firmware to
the device, and pulling data from it via USB.  I don't
see any way to tune to a particular frequency, or select
a particular service, so that's presumably done elsewhere,
perhaps physically on the receiver itself.

The device I have is partly supported by the v4l-dvb `siano'
directory, with hints such as
#define MSG_SMS_DAB_CHANNEL        607

I have what looks to be a personal reply from Herr Acher
that has helped me understand a bit more about the dabusb
code/device, and I need to welcome the honourable Uri Shkolnik
and ask questions to learn about the Siano's support of DAB.

> > And some of us non-developers have such hardware and want to try
> > it with non-Windows for readily-receiveable DAB.
>
> With some simple definitions ? What applications are used ?

I imagine I will have to hack something out of gaffer tape
and chewing gum if I want to actually do anything...

Now a completely different question -- I was pleased to see
that my not-too-old kernel compiled well with your mp_plus
source, and I read on the Wiki that certain basic tools
still needed to be ported to multiproto.

Something hands-on like this is probably the only way I'm
ever going to get a clue about the APIs.  And it might even
result in something useful in addition.  But I don't have
any hardware which requires multiproto, if I'd need that
for testing or anything.

Would it be worth it for me to attempt such a port, given
that, or will I find it unlikely to get anywhere?  I'm no
developer and no programmer, and barely a hacker...

thanks,
barry bouwsma