S2API - First release

Hello,

It's been a crazy few days, please forgive my short absence.

What have I been doing? Well, rather than spending time discussing a new
S2API on the mailing list, I wanted to actually produce a working series
of patches that kernel and application developers could begin to test.

Here's where all of the new S2API patches will now appear:

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~stoth/s2

In addition, here's is a userland application that demonstrates tuning
the current DVB-S/T/C and US ATSC modulations types using the new API.
(www.steventoth.net/linux/s2/tune-v0.0.1.tgz)

A tuning demo app? What? Obviously, tuning older modulation types via
the new API isn't a requirements, but it's a useful validation exercise
for the new S2API. What _IS_ important is..... that it also demonstrates
using the same tuning mechanism to tune DVB-S2 8PSK / NBC-QPSK
modulation types, and also has rudimentary ISDB-T support for any
developers specifically interested.

This S2API tree also contains support for the cx24116 demodulator
driver, and the Hauppauge HVR4000 family of S2 products. So those
interested testers/developers can modify the tune.c app demo and make
changes specific to their area, and try experimenting with the new API
if they desire. [1]

Obviously, tune.c isn't intelligent, it's not a replacement for szap,
tzap or whatever - it's simply a standalone S2API test tool, that
demonstrates the important API interface.

QAM/ATSC are working well, the HVR4000 changes look fine according to
the debug log (although I have no local satellite feed for testing
tonight). DVB-T should just work as-is, but I can't test this for a day
or so. I.E. I've tested what I can in the US but we might have a few
bugs or gotchas!

If anyone is willing to pull the tree and begin testing with the tune.c
app then please post all feedback on this thread. [2]

I've received a lot of good feedback of the original 2007 patches. I
expect to start merging those changes of the coming days. Don't be too
concerned that your changes are not yet merged, keep watching the S2API
tree and they will soon appear ... along with a lot of general code
cleanup (checkpatch violations)

I expect to catchup on my older email tomorrow.

Regards to all,

- Steve
[1] I'll need to review and diff any of the newer HVR4000 driver
derivatives that people have been using, before merging those changes
into the S2API tree.
[2] Remember you're going to need the cx24116 firmware if you're
specifically testing the HVR4000.... but you probably already know that! :)