Re: Looks like there's a new unsupported WinTV Nova T 500 out there

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Paul Gardiner <lists@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Paul Gardiner wrote:
>>
>> I'm going to try the card in a Windows machine. Didn't
>> want to pollute that machine with the extra drivers, but
>> I guess now it's looking like a dead card.
>
> Oh sorry. It's a dead card. The Latest drivers for Windows,
> from the Hauppauge web site agree with your drivers in
> finding no supported hardware.  The USB part is recognised
> but then a device called HOOK appears, and the Windows
> drivers just don't want to touch that.
>
> I think I was justifiably confused by the wiki. There's
> plenty about the Diversity version that isn't supported,

Diversity version *is* supported.  Silly wiki.  Anybody interested
should try my Bristol tree -- I'll have it merged within the week or
so.

> but nothing saying that there are any v2.1 versions that
> do work, or anything about the 99XXX series. I could
> try updating it, but that's a bit risky: if I had done
> so yesterday, I'd have been spreading my scaremongering
> further afield. Better if people really in the know do so.

Anybody can edit the wiki.  I choose to spend my time working on code
rather than the wiki.

> On the other hand, if the experts have little time and
> it's the choice between updating the drivers and the wiki,
> I know which I'd vote for! :-)

heh.. like I said, above.

> Anyway, thanks for all the friendly advice. I'll let you
> know how I get on with the replacement, when it arrives.

You can fix it yourself if you want.... or you can get a replacement
-- it's up to you.

Based on the information in your dmesg, I can see that the eeprom on
your device has gotten erased or corrupted.  Some informative links:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.dvb/36609

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-dvb@xxxxxxxxxxx/msg26676.html

Anyway, for all the interested readers out there -- this was a false
alarm -- the card *is* supported, and it is *not* end-of-life.

Regards,

Mike