Re: Compro VideoMate E650 hybrid PCIe DVB-T and analog TV/FM capture card

Tom, Jackden,

Please find attached a patch that should add support for the DVB side of this card.  Please
follow the following to the dot and provide the outputs requested, this will ensure that I
capture all possible issues as soon as possible (and yes I do expect at least one issue).

1) Ensure that you have everything installed to build the v4l-dvb tree (usually the kernel
headers, build-essentials and patch)

2) Download and extract:
http://linuxtv.org/hg/~stoth/cx23885-leadtek/archive/837860b92af5.tar.bz2

3) Download attached patch to the same directory as the above file.

4) Open up a terminal into the directory of the extracted files and apply the patch with this
command:
patch -p1 < ../Compro_VideoMate_E650.patch

5) Make, install:
make;
sudo make install

6) Download the firmware (see
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Xceive_XC3028/XC2028#How_to_Obtain_the_Firmware)

7) Now this is going to sound weird (for linux) but it puts the card in a known state for me to
work from:
Turn the computer off, count to 10 and turn back on (no a reset will not do what I need). Ensure
windows does NOT load, before going into Linux, if it does turn it back off again.

8) Provide the dmesg for the lines after:
"Linux video capture interface: v2.00"

9) If no errors try scanning for channels (see http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Scan if you are
unsure how do this). If this outputs tv channels then so far so good.

10) Open up your favourite player (ensure the channels config is the correct directory e.g. for
xine ~/.xine/) and try and watch a channel.

11) Provide output of dmesg (only the continuation from the previous dmesg output).

Now if at any stage it doesn't work here are a few things that you can try (make sure you let me
know which ones you did try):
a) Perform a computer restart (soft restart - a restart controlled by the computer, not using
any of the buttons on the front), and load windows ensure the card is working by tuning to DVB
and then perform a soft restart into linux and resume at step above that caused errors.  This is
typically going to solve an issue where you cannot get past step 9.

b) Turn debugging on for the following modules:
tuner_xc2028
cx23885
zl10353
This is usually performed in: /etc/modprobe.d/options (this is what ubuntu has) by setting debug
= 1. An example line is:
options cx23885 debug=1
Now go back to step 7 and try again when you run into a error message or unable to do the above
provide the dmesg output as referred to in Step 11.

Thanks

Stephen

--
Nothing says Labor Day like 500hp of American muscle
Visit OnCars.com today.