Re: HVR 4000 recomneded driver and firmware for VDR 1.7.0

--- On Wed, 8/27/08, Hans Werner <HWerner4@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Barry, thanks for your messge. You didn't say whether you tried what
> I did with HVR4000+liplianindvb+szap2 (-p option).

First, my apologies -- I've only been half-reading all the
messages, without really paying attention to things that do
not immediately concern me, and I probably should have kept
quiet.

Second, I don't have any DVB-S2 hardware yet, though the HVR4000
has been on my Interest-O-Meter -- nor is my machine fast enough
to play any streams in realtime, so I'm always writing a file
(which takes little CPU power) for playback later; in the case
of H.264 1080i video, I see at best part of one, two, or maybe
three full frames per second, which actually gives me time to
judge the quality of the video compression.

So, no, I haven't tried that, but I'm confused -- based on your
posted debug output, it looked as though you were playing a
recorded file, testfile_anixe.ts ...

The output you gave reminded me of that of ITV-HD, which uses
some (PAFF?) encoding for which mplayer recently got support,
so I posted, in case you had a distro-supplied player.

> I regularly update mplayer from SVN and recompile too.  I
> have tried the following:
>
> MPlayer dev-SVN-r27489-4.1.2  (today!): runs but video very
> slow and out of sync, audio ok.
> MPlayer dev-SVN-r27341-4.1.2  (about 1 month old): crashes
> in <1s

Good to know, and thanks for making me look like a fool, and
I'm happy for it.  No, really.  It's not just worth it for its
own sake, but if it helps others, that's even better.

> And I have some sample TS files for Astra HD+ made with
> another card which all the
> mplayers play perfectly so I know h264 is working.

I am going to plead ignorance of what does, and what does not
work for you.  Please correct me where I ass-u-me wrong:

arte HD plays fine for you, both from a recorded TS file, and
live from szap2.

Anixe HD / Astra HD+ play fine from recorded files from another
machine.

Anixe HD played from your anixe.ts file crashed?
Anixe HD played from szap2 crashed?

I pointed out the different debug output from BBC-HD/ITV-HD to
show that of ITV matched your errors, and that's using an encoding
for which support has only within the last month or two appeared
in mplayer, and will not be as mature as the support used by
other streams.

Just a thought, if you cannot play a realtime stream, is that the
decoder needs to do seeking within the stream, which it could do
within a file, but the support is not yet mature enough to be able
to do the same within a stream.  I could be completely wrong...

If you have short examples of recorded files that crash, and others
from the same source that play properly, I'd be interested to be
able to download them and look for obvious problems.

And likewise, if I'm not understanding where you have success and
failures with mplayer, please correct me, if you think it's worth
it, as I don't have the hardware to test on my own.

thanks,
barry bouwsma